Thursday, August 11, 2011

Creating your own display

As promised I am posting instructions and pics for making the 3 tiered display.  I will try to make the instructions as clear as possible......lol. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. kathyscraftingcorner@hotmail.com

You will need 4 USPS Priority Mail boxes ( O-1095 ) these you can get for free at the post office (if you have a large one ) or you can order online a  http://usps.com . I would have a couple of extra on hand...just in case.

I made my display the full length of the box including the end flaps ( 21.5" ). It can be made to any length.

Carefully open box at the seam.

The narrow 3" side of the box forms the top shelf. On the wide side of the box measure down 2"and draw dashed fold line, then 3", then 2", then 3" again and finally 2". Draw a cut line. To form the back, measure down 6" from the opposite side of the side panel and draw a cut line.

Score along your dashed lines - I used my bone folder to do it.



Cut 2 or 3 of the side panels...if you will be displaying heavier items you will want a center support. Using a pen in your cutter draw the MTC design. If you have a cutter that will cut thick chipboard you can draw the fold lines and cut the shape with your cutter.  If you are like me....you will have to cut by hand....lol....

Drawn pattern. I flipped the design for the second side.

Hand cut pieces

Scored and folded

If you are making the display the full length you will have the adhesive strips on the scored and folded edges. Lightly cut through the paper covering the adhesive about 1/2" from the edge. Apply double stick tape along the edge of both sides of the rest of the length. You could use hot glue, but I find that it sets up to quickly.

Attach the back first lining up the edges and press firmly into place.  Do the same for the second side.


Draw, then cut 2 of the "wrap" side panels. Score and fold along dashed line.

Attach sides to back. Your back piece should be 8 3/4" high by what ever length your display is.

This is the finished display.  I used the 3" side panels from the boxes to make the front facings and I used brads.....one in each of the 3 front corners,  to secure the wrap to the base. If you don't want to change the wrap in the future, you can permanently attach it.
Now you can cover it with paper or use whatever medium you like to finish it.
I would love to see your finished displays.

Here is the link to the MTC file link.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=5444a08e862b9e33&resid=5444A08E862B9E33!126

Have a creative day.

1 comment:

  1. Looks very easy to do. I'm heading to Montana for the weekend, as soon as I get back I will be making me one or two. Thank you so much for posting....hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete